Sunday, March 16, 2008

My run with Polly Jean

Feeling lethargic is not allowed. Too easily the desire to just eat (and eat and eat and eat) and get fat can take over. I guess some people out there don't mind being a burden to America's healthcare system (all taken care of with socialized healthcare, right?!) but not me, I ain't gonna be a burden, they're not even gonna know I exist, well, other than the fact that I'm sort of already a part of America's healthcare system in that I do good within it, working for the people, doing a small part to get them medical help ... but NO, I ain't gonna get sick from being overweight, not even if some damn President decides to raise our taxes so we all pay for each other's medical bills.

NO!

So I run.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Sunday Night Run: 18 minutes 17 seconds+6 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 06 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:2 hours 6 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

I can never remember if the Rec Center at the University is open late on Sunday or not. For some reason it's not, maybe because it's presumed all students are in and studying on Sunday night?

Fine, so after I saw all the lights out there, I headed to the gym, the real gym in town, not that the Rec Center isn't a real gym, or doesn't have a real gym, it's real enough, but this, The Alaska Club, is a real gym gym... and the other indoor running track in town.

(I swear, if I was gonna build me a fairly large house, I'd ring it with an indoor running track. Hey, this is Alaska, such a weirdly designed home would fit right in!)

Good run. For some reason an 8:30 pm run after dinner on a Sunday, it just feels like the best time. I don't know why. Maybe after sitting home all day it's nice to get out for a bit, short drive there, nearly 20 minutes to get 'er done, short drive back. All showered, all clean, fresh log yet again thrown in the stove, a good night, feelin' fine!

This running, I tell ya what, it's freakin' addictive! Actually running sucks, it's the way the body feels afterwards that's addicting! Ahhh, good to be healthy!

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her (2004)PJ Harvey

Uh Huh Her

2004




The Life & Death Of Mr. Badmouth
Shame
Who The Fuck?
Pocket Knife
The Letter
The Slow Drug
No Child Of Mine
Cat On The Wall
You Come Through
It's You
The End
The Desperate Kingdom Of Love
[Untitled Track]
The Darker Days Of Me & Him

Been a long time since I've listened to Polly Jean from Corscombe, Dorset. Never really listened to an album of hers all the way through, so far as I know. But am familiar with her from the mid to late 90's. Not bad stuff. Not my favorite, she's quite the brooder, ya know; this ain't Shiny Happy People music by any means.

Not the best to run to. No good, strong fast-paced, high beats per minute tune which I like for the last 3 or 4 minutes. All rather slow which is okay, makes me cruise along at an easy pace without burning myself out. But nothing to really drive me at the end. Oh well.

Still a good listen.

MUSIC NOTE 128 kbps dload @ Rock On !!! MUSIC NOTE

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated