Sunday, March 29, 2009

Running In A New York State Of Mind

It was strange this morning waking up to the power being out. Disconcerting is what it was... and that's coming from someone who has lived in the wilderness for lengthy stints with no electricity what-so-ever. This morning when there was no power, I felt powerless (no pun intended.) The computer modem is run electrically and the phone is plugged into that (or vice versa) and so I couldn't even use the phone. No 'puter, no phone, no stove (or microwave) to heat water for coffee. What was I to do?!? Nothing really except have a mild to insanity-level freak-out panic attack. No, not really, I'm not neurotic (except when it comes to the government.) I just went to the grocery store, called Sugarmag on the pay-by-the-minute cell phone she gave me, and waited. A little Billy Joel got me in the mood to go running and when I came back, all's back to normal. Thank goodness. I mean what the hell?!? No electricity?!?!?! How's a human being supposed to live?!?!?!?!??!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Sunday late morning Run: 25 minutes 24 sec
+ 12 seconds
.
Days Since My Last Run: 2 days
.
10:55 am - 68-ish
° - holy cow it's sunny

Excellent run. I don't know why. Perhaps the music inspired me today. Perhaps it was the light breeze that kept me cool under the warmth of the sun. I dunno. Added a whopping 12 seconds but that's okay. I'm getting back up to 30 minutes. At this point in time, I don't even remember the longest outing I've ever had. Maybe I'm doing better than ever but this I know: I'm in that ballpark right now. The key -- KEEP IT UP!!!! I am still very disappointed in knowing that March will be a FAILED month for running. Two days left and I need one regular run and then a run of only a few minutes to hit 3 hours. Ugh. Oh well. Whatever.
March :: +10 sec· X
6 runs in MARCH:
2 hours & 28 min
*** FEBRUARY ***
3 hours 41 min
January 2009
2 hours 54 min
December
2 hours 42 min
November:2 hours 31 min
October 2008:2 hours 10 min
**SEPTEMBER**3 Hours 25 min

**********IMPORTANT***PART**OF**THE**POST----SEPARATOR**BAR**********
PHONOGRAPH

Sunday's Running Playlist
included most of this album...
frontBilly Joel

Turnstiles

1976
Say Goodbye to Hollywood
Summer, Highland Falls
All You Wanna Do Is Dance
New York State of Mind
James
Prelude/Angry Young Man
I've Loved These Days
Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)
I last listened to Billy Joel almost two months ago to the day, to his album Streetlife Serenade. I didn't like it all that much. Kinda bored me, for the most part. This album, Turnstiles, the one that followed Streetlife Serenade, wayyyyyy better! Wow! There are so many good songs on here. Okay, well, there aren't that many to begin with but two or three border on outstanding while New York State Of Mind just might be one of my favorite songs EVER. Back in '90 (I think) when I saw Billy Joel on his Storm Front tour, I remember riding down 4th South in Salt Lake City, from the University to the Delta Center downtown. During the ride (the long ride that it was, all of about 6 minutes) we listened to Say Goodbye To Hollywood and I'll just never forget that. What a GREAT show. I'm not a huge Billy Joel fan but he's got some decent music and a bunch of it is on this album. And the song NY State Of Mind is me, man, kinda. I'm from Jersey, this I know, but I grew up just outside of The City, out in the Jersey 'burbs. From a friend o' mine's back porch in Franklin Lakes, the top of the skyline could be seen -- about half of the Empire State Building and almost all of the World Trade Center. On those clear nights with great visibility -- so beautiful. I did a summer semester at NYU, living on Union Square West, and that doesn't qualify me as a New Yorker but I'm just about close enough to being one that I am always, sort of, in a New York State Of Mind. Easily I can be in an Alaskan State Of Mind, or a Montana State of Mind, or maybe even a desert state of mind, perhaps even if I'm urged enough a Key West/Maragaritaville and/or Caribbean State Of Mind... but always a NJ State of Mind, and yeah, a NY State of Mind, too. Capiche?!

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE 320 kbps download @
New Moodswings 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE
320 mp3 download

somebody's homemade video for
"New York State Of Mind"


No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated