Monday, June 18, 2007

Best Cops Ever?

Practically never in life am I in the mood for a certain movie genre. I'm really usually up for almost anything. Tonight I wanted a comedy, something completely insanely dumb that would make me do nothing but laugh my butt off. Luckily this was on...



2001

Jay Chandrashekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, Erik Stolhanske? Who are they? Broken Lizard? What's that?

It's clear that I'm not always up on what's now. And that's fine with me. If something is darn funny in 2002 then if it's still darn funny down the line, that's probably when I'm gonna find out about it. Super Troopers, from the group of guys that is the comedy group Broken Lizard, is definitely a darn funny movie and here we are years later and I'm just finding that out. Again, fine with me. Better now than never!


About a group of troublemaking prankster Vermont State Troopers who constantly battle the local Police Department for jurisdiction over nearby crime, this film does not fail to deliver laugh after laugh. Of course, in order to enhance the comedy written into and performed in movies like this, it probably helps to either be involved or formerly involved with American college-age marijuana culture. I simply cannot fathom laughing your butt off at this if you're a Christian who tends to top life off with PG-13 material. That ain't me. In my opinion, when you're a Christian who previously lived 20+ years in a Rated R sense of being, you've got to use your mind as a filter, able to absorb and enjoy the comedy but not let it negatively affect you. What generally passes for Christian comedy, to many of us, that's pretty much the equivalent of sleeping pills. So something like this is a blessing to the Christian who loves adult humor and who does not let it affect them in any bad way.

It was interesting for me finding out after the movie that it was filmed in Dutchess and Westchester counties in southeast New York, not too far from New York City. That is pretty much right about where I grew up, well, maybe 30-40 miles away but I used to go through those areas quite often -- Beacon, Fishkill, Ossining, Wappingers Falls. While watching the movie I was like, "Hey, gorgeous Vermont!" But low and behold "Upstate" New York played the part oh so nicely.

Anyway, what a freakin' funny movie! Could really have done without the full frontal fat guy nudity but as an EMT, I've seen it a thousand times in the flesh and up way too close. Still -- no need for it in a movie! Still, I am without a doubt looking forward to eventually seein' this one again. I can't say that about almost everything I sit down with popcorn to watch but this one -- absolutely!!

1 comment:

Ace Cowboy said...

Awesome prank, Farva.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated