Friday, June 1, 2007

Back On Track...

Two days off the trail depresses me. Technically it's closer to three total days. What would I do if I was stricken with something that didn't allow me to go out on the trail anymore? No more running? I could almost live with that. I'd get fat, I'd get diabetes or something, have a stroke, yada yada yada, dead in a horrible way. No more hiking? Ouch. That's the one that would depress me to death. In any case, my legs do work, a little soreness here or there sometimes but not terrible enough to debilitate me and keep me off the trail for any truly great length of time. So this evening I got out again and had a pretty good run. Wasn't much or a problem to hit the time I was shooting for. After a brief rest there was pain again in my right shin on the hike back, kinda like I got nailed with a Pedro Martinez slider. Other than that all systems felt okily dokily!

Trail Time -- 76 minutes

Running Time: 19 minutes & 35 seconds (+15 seconds!)

music...


Back To You

(her debut album from 1997)



Girls Like Fast Cars
One of Those Days
Wrong Side of Town
Will You Be Here
She Wants To Ride
I Could Love a Man Like That
You're The Break
Daddy Can You See Me?
What If I Said (with Steve Wariner)
Back To You
+
Please Come Home For Christmas

and 3 songs from...


Garcia/Saunders/Kahn/Vitt:

Live at Keystone, Volume 1


Keepers

Positively 4th Street
The Harder They Come

Not a complaint at all. Excellent tunes from Garcia-Saunders to bring me home and before that a really country album from Anita Cochran. She seems to me to be one of those artists who never have the huge commercial success but their music and songwriting is really strong. What is the deal with the Nashville music industry? Songs may chart and get radioplay but people like Ms. Cochran never have the fame that the Faith Hills and Martina McBrides get. That doesn't mean anyone of these is any better. Tis just weird. Maybe the artist who succeeds is the one who does not write their own music and/or does not play instruments on the album. Anita Cochran does all of the above on her 1997 debut. Talent does, seemingly, not always mean mainstream success but that's not necessarily a bad thing, at least to me. When it comes to country I'd rather listen to the underdog, the guy or gal who just goes out to make music without much regard for whether the album will go Gold or Platinum, without much regard for whether there'll be chart-topping singles or a CMA Award. Those who make music just to make music are often the ones who do it best and Anita is close to that category.

1 comment:

Deadman said...

I'm going to have to check out both of these albums.

Do you have the Legion of Mary that was recently released?

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated