Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dead Lobos Run

Yabba dabba do, stop blowing on my kazoo!

TIE-DYE SEPARATOR BAR
The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Tuesday Evening Run: 22 minutes 37 seconds
+ 3 sec

5:50 p.m. - 76°, kinda humid, kinda cloudy, sun low on the horizon, eh but not horrible.
XXXXXXXXXXXX ·Oct :: -00 sec· XXXXXXXXXXX
September:3 hours 25 min
August:2 hours 39 min
July:2 hours 11 min
June:1 hour 47 min
May:4 hours 46 min

I wasn't so sure about running today. Two days in a row is easy for many but I'm not used to it. After yesterday's run I thought perhaps I had a small gluteus maximus issue... am kinda feelin' it now, too. Twasn't really too bad. Eight days ago there were only eight days left in the month and I was determined to get 4 more runs in. That didn't pan out. Yesterday was 1 of 4. Today was 2 of 4 and the month's over in like 5 hours. Oh well.

The run wasn't bad. Didn't add on much time which I'm kind of happy about. Two days in a row didn't give me much confidence to increase my time much. Thankfully the tunes I chose didn't really give me much of a choice so that worked out.

Same as yesterday, I was tired around halfway. Not really tired but... just not enthusiastic about finishing 22½ minutes. Made it to the end I did... with a whole lotta willpower.

Almost an hour and a half on the trail was sweet. Unfortunately the weather's been warm(er) lately which doesn't help me out any. Soon, I hope, the temps'll be back down to something resembling Fall. That'll be so nice, to run when it's actually feeling cool out. 22½ minutes can maybe even soon become 25! 30? We'll see.

TIE-DYE SEPARATOR BAR

PHONOGRAPHRunning Playlist
Included Tunes from...

Los Lobos - How Will The Wolf Survive? (1984)
Los Lobos

How Will The Wolf Survive?

1984
Don't Worry Baby
A Matter Of Time
Corrido #1
Our Last Night
The Breakdown
I Got Loaded
Serenata Nortena
Evangeline
I Got To Let You Know
Lil' King Of Everything
Will The Wolf Survive
What a great, great album from Los Lobos. Supposedly, according to some, this is their best mostly English language release. That kinda bums me out. Listening to other albums from them won't be as good as this one? Bahhhh -- that sucks. Oh well.

I almost saw Los Lobos when I saw the Grateful Dead at Giants Stadium in '89. They were the opening band but we, my friends and I, stayed in the lot. We didn't know Los Lobos at the time. Well, we knew La Bamba but that was about it and so hanging in the lot was way more important. Oh well.

Thankfully I'm discovering their music now. Better late than never. This is such a good fun album that it's gonna get a million plays by me. Without a doubt. While it might be their best, I'm still lookin' forward to their other stuff.

320 kbps mp3 download
TIE-DYE SEPARATOR BAR

In addition to that great Los Lobos album...


100 Days of the Dead

Day 8

39 Years Ago Tonight...

Grateful Dead ~ September 30, 1969
Cafe au Go Go, New York City

China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider,
Merry-Go-Round Broke Down-> Take Me Out To The Ballgame tunings,
Alligator-> Drums-> The Other One

How about some Greenwich Village Dead... and not of the Fillmore East variety? Head a whole buncha blocks west from where the Fillmore is (was) in the East Village (2nd Ave & 6th St) and, unless you have no sense of direction or make a wrong turn because you're tripping, you should end up near the park (Washington Square) or just south of, yeah, right around the heart of NYU and, if you keep your eyes open, Bleecker Street. That's where the Cafe au Go Go was.

At about 34 minutes long, t
hese songs are all that exists from this date. The entire setlist isn't even known. Vocals are practically non-existent but other than that, the recording isn't too, too bad for an Aud from 1969. Truly it could be worse but it's actually listenable. The tunings are short but neat. Drums, I think, is the best stuff here, actually. Why? Well, for this reason alone -- no wicked muddy vocals that are essentially non-existent. The Other One, though, hmmm... so nice! Even in non-soundboard quality with poorly placed mics -- mmmm. And giving this yet another listen, there are moments in China-> Rider that are just so sweet, as well. Is this worth the download and 34 minute listen? To me it is!! I've even listened to it around four times now.

Source: Audience > ? > Cassette > Cassette > CD

Audio Quality:

9/30/69 is at Archive.org
for your downloading pleasure

9-30-69 aka 09-30-69 aka 9/30/69 aka 09/30/69 aka 69-09-30 setlist 320 kbps mp3 SBD download

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

I haven't listened to that Los Lobos album in years... I used to love it. Thanks for the reminder!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated