Friday, September 26, 2008

9/26/73 Truckin' Up To Buffalo

MIDDLE --- BANNER --- DAY-4 -- PINK-TIE-DYE

Hey now it's me, Sugarmag. Today is a beautiful day here in East Central Illinois and I have been listening to this here Grateful Dead show that I want to tell you about. It was 35 years ago today, starting just a couple of hours from the time I'm typing this that The Grateful Dead trucked up to Buffalo to play a show. It was the last show of a tour that was sandwiched between the recording and release of Wake of the Flood.






TIE ### DYE ### SEPARATOR ### BAR

Small Steal Your Face
The Grateful Dead ~ 35 Years Ago Today

September 26, 1973
Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, New York


1st Set: Here Comes Sunshine, Beat It On Down The Line,
Deal, Looks Like Rain, Tennessee Jed,
Mexicali Blues, Loser, Big River, Brown-Eyed Woman,
The Race Is On, Row Jimmy, El Paso,
China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Around and Around


Set 2: Playing In The Band, Sing Me Back Home*, Me and My Uncle,
He's Gone-> Truckin'-> Eyes Of The World->
Weather Report Suite Prelude & Part 1-> Let It Grow,
Sugar Magnolia


Encore: One More Saturday Night

* final Sing Me Back Home
* Eyes->Let It Grow w/ Martin Fierro on sax & Joe Ellis on trumpet *
Small Steal Your Face

Wake Of the Flood was the first Grateful Dead album with Keith and Donna and for those that find that Donna is sometimes kind of annoying, she is not as upfront as she is later in the decade. In the first set, She sings on Beat It On Down the Line but she doesn't sing at all on Deal or Looks Like Rain. Looks Like Rain was grate on this night but I do like hearing Bob and Donna sing it together on later versions. My favorite part of the first set is "I Know You Rider." I feel a thrill every time I hear Jerry sing, "I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train!" and this is a beautiful example of just how powerful this song can be.

In the second set, Donna does her "OoooYeeaaah!" thing during Playin' but it is still good, still a good version of Playin'! Martin Fierro and Joe Ellis, who also performed on Wake of the Flood, joined the band for the second half of the second set and they add so much. Eyes Of the World is such a grate jazzy tune anyway and the addition of horns makes it even better. Weather Report Suite is a favorite of mine and they play it with so much energy on this night when it was a brand new song.

This is a good show for a fall day. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Grateful Dead poster for 9/26/73 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium

Source:
Soundboard> Master Reel> DAT

Audio Quality:
9/26/73 Buffalo at Archive.org:

a Soundboard + a Matrix
for Listening Only
-or-
9-23-72 aka 09-23-72 aka 9/23/72 aka 09/23/72 aka 72-09-23 setlist 320 kbps mp3 SBD download
Small Steal Your Face symbolizing, of course, the Grateful Dead with Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart, Ron Pigpen McKernan, Keith & Donna Godchaux, Vince Welnick, Bruce Hornsby and Brent Mydland.  And even Tom Constanten!  Songs by John Perry Barlow and Robert Hunter and one by Bob Dylan but none by The Beatles.Download it Right HereSmall Steal Your Face
Community War Memorial? 9-26-73 aka 09-26-73 aka 9/26/73 aka 09/26/73 aka 73-09-26 setlist 320 kbps mp3 SBD download
I nearly forgot that it's time for me to pass the hat for my favorite charity. Zoooma's idea was to use the last hundred days of the year to listen to The Grateful Dead and promote a few worthwhile charities and I really like that idea. If you downloaded this show, please consider making a donation to La Leche League, which is an international not for profit organization that provides mother to mother support for breastfeeding.

La Leche League Leaders are volunteers who lead meetings where mothers can get together and support each other with breastfeeding and they are also available 24 hours a day to provide telephone support. When my first child was born I had a lot of soreness from breastfeeding as well as a lot of questions and I called an LLL Leader in my town and she met with me at no charge and she showed me some things that I could try to make breastfeeding more comfortable. You know what? Her suggestions worked and breastfeeding got easier after that. If you have a couple of extra bucks, please consider a donation.

8 comments:

Nazz Nomad said...

you really have to see this:
http://www.spinner.com/2008/09/21/grateful-dead-deal-live-video-exclusive/

the dead doing deal at the pyramids back in 78. look at the energy they are projecting!

dang!

ps- the mets DO suck. I was at the game tonite.

Sugarmag said...

Hey Nazz! Cool video, thanks for the link! Sorry about the Mets.

Nazz Nomad said...

Still Alive!!!!!!!!!!!


LET'S GO METS!
LET'S GO METS!
LET'S GO METS!
LET'S GO METS!
LET'S GO METS!

Timmy said...

Ahhhh, yes. Martin Fierro. I believe he also played for a bit with Frank Zappa, no? Also didn't he work with The Late, Great Doug Sahm? Hmmmm?
Anywells, anudder nice posting for us all. Moony thunx!

nevets13 said...

Thanks for putting up this show. First time I've seen the poster/handbill for it. If you own the poster, any chance you would want to sell it? Thanks.

Sugarmag said...

Hey Timmy, I have no idea, I'd have to google it :). Thank you so much for reading what I wrote and commenting.

Hi Nevets13, I don't own the poster but if I did I'd sell it to ya'! 50 cents! Thank you for stopping by and commenting, I appreciate it!

Have a grateful day!

Anonymous said...

I remember this show. It was a six hour marathon that mirrored the show they had done over the summer at Watkins Glen. I had several friends who attended both shows. What a time!

Anonymous said...

40 years down the road, dark star orchestra busted out on this set 5/18/2013 buffalo ny. I was getting goose bumps the whole show. especially during llr and he's gone. Such a beautiful set.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated