Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Blondie Run without a Clever Title

Today was a day. Yes... it was. It was a day and that's all it was. Twasn't bad. Twas okay. Today was. What the heck am I saying? I'm not sure... and to speak like me -- sure is pronounced "shore." Have some cawfee? Tawk? Cawfee tawk? No, this wasn't a poem so that's why it didn't wrap up with any fancy rhyme. Actually, I've now got a craving for a margarita with lots of yummy lime.

Wow, I've got not a whole lot to say right now. I guess I could find something but Crickey, Mate, I'm tired! Hey, I ran, okay?! I got 'er done! Hellllllll yeah!!!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!Only 82°F, overcast & thundery @ 6:50 pm
Monday Evening Run: 14 minutes 2 seconds+ 44 sec
XXXXXXXXXXXX ·June :: -2 sec· XXXXXXXXXX
7 runs in July:approx: 2 hrs 11 min
June:1 hour 47 min
May:4 hours 46 min

Earlier it seemed like running would be certain death. All afternoon the temperature crept up to about 140... okay, just 96 or so. I didn't even wanna turn on the Weather Channel 'cause I knew the Heat Index woulda been just sick. SICK!

But then late afternoon thunderstorms popped up and the temp plummeted like the stock market today (down like 233 points?!?! CRAP!!!!!!! I lost 15 grand in the 2nd quarter, damn it all to hell that sucker better bounce back by the end of the year!!!)

Anyway.... the drop in temperature allowed me to re-adjust my Play List for longer then the originally planned 10 or 11 minutes of running. 14 or 15 minutes shoulda been doable, perhaps in two separate stints with a break in between -- and that's what happened. Maybe I need to get that out of my head, the thought of having a break and just go for it? I dunno. In any case -- I made my time. I was tired as hell at the end but I made it okay. The frozen Gatorade melted enough to give me some fluid intake during my break and that helped me finish up my time. Not easy as cake but I made it without any problem worse than some minor exhaustion.

PHONOGRAPH

Running tunes...
Blondie: self-titled debut [CD cover] (1976)Blondie

(self-titled debut)

1976

[2001 reissue]
X-Offender
Little Girl Lies
In the Flesh
Look Good in Blue
In the Sun
A Shark in Jet's Clothing
Man Overboard
Rip Her to Shreds
Rifle Range
Kung-Fu Girls
The Attack of the Giant Ants

Out in the Streets (1975 Demo)
The Thin Line (1975 Demo)
Platinum Blonde (1975 Demo)
X-Offender (Private Stock single version)
In the Sun (Private Stock single version)


It has been way too many years since I've listened to Blondie.
I've been pretty familiar with a couple of her albums... whoops, I said "her" 'cause for some reason I've always thought of Blondie being Debby Harry and not a band. Anyway, I've been familiar with a couple Blondie albums but have never heard this debut before. What's here isn't really as good as what followed to close out the 70's but there are a lot of hints of what's to come. It's fun but just doesn't have that same very cool feel that later Blondie material has.

I think my favorite songs here are Man Overboard which actually has kind of a Grateful Dead feel to it if you think Jerry-less (no lead guitar) but heavy on Bob's rhythm guitar...
also Attack of the Giant Ants.
I mean, how can you beat a song that goes:

Giant ants from space
Snuff the human race
Then they eat your face
never leave a trace
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
They shoot fire all around
Tokyo burns down
Everybody drowns
The moon falls on the ground
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
They can't be stopped at all
The buildings start to fall
Soldiers shoot all day
and then they run away
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
The world is holocaust
Everything is lost
Mankind is destroyed
Sprinkled in the void
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la

The la, la, la, la is just perfect! Coupled with that, the song has such a fun, Latin la bamba samba salsa meringue happy feel to it!
HEY, curious? Have a listen here:


320 kbps mp3 download

5 comments:

Timmy said...

This is one of those LP's that tilted the direction of Rock Music into a new orbit. Blondie's "Punk" style was never quite properly described, but thanks to Rodney Bingenheimer, they would leave their mark for the future of Pop Music.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Zoooma, It sounds like you are adjusting to the SC heat just fine. Awesome that you are running again! yl

Anonymous said...

Margaritas? Thats a big yummy hell yes!
Also try: http://sayanythingblog.com/readers/entry/think_green_im_doing_my_part_are_you/

Zoooma said...

Timmy -- thanks for commenting! While Blondie most definitely was not punk in the way punk is usually though of, you're right, the band was still important to pop music in the late 70's and 1980's. Debbie Harry probably even influenced many female singers who got popular in the 90's, too. I'm lookin' forward to getting back into listening to more Blondie (in between GD and Jerry stuff which'll soon start getting posted more often 'round here.)

Maybe some GD and a margarita? I could definitely go for one now and again! I'm not sure my reaction to them would ever be anything other than Hell Yes!

And yeah, I'm gettin' used to the SC heat... but not necessarily just fine. While I don't dig 90+ degrees every day, I am adjusting because I've gotta run -- striving for better health is too important not to run! My runs aren't as long as they could and should be but I don't wanna let the heat stop me. Thanks for bein' stoked for me!!

Nazz Nomad said...

Blondie was a lame band with a semi-hot lead singer that couched themselves in "punk" when it was convenient and jumped on the new wave/disco bandwagon as soon as it became lucrative.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated