Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Psychedelic Run; or Not Quite Pretty In Pink

9 degrees today (-13 C.) Pretty cold but not biting to the bone. Completely overcast. Some flurries here, some light snow there. It's gonna be a long winter. We've been above average for the most part, a little on the High temps but especially on the Low temps. National news I watch religiously but local news almost never... caught it tonight and they said the Record High for this day was 41° (5 Celcius) all the way back in 1916. Wow. 41. At this point I couldn't imagine. Actually I can. Shorts weather! Seems like it's been a couple months since we've had those temps. Deeper into the Interior today, many villages were well into double digits below zero. The wicked cold has set in there... but not here yet. Soon. It's gonna be a long winter.

Decided at Halftime of Sunday Evening Football to go for a run. Another blowout for the New England Patriots. I think they had 5 touchdowns at the half! Holy cow. (Being a New Englander by birth, I once tried to adopt the Pats as my favorite team, or one of two along with the Chicago Bears, but eh, never caught on.)

The temperature was just below the cusp of the point where it's just too darn cold to be out there on the trail running or casually hiking... and it was dark so on over to the Rec Center I drove. Oh joy. Having to fire up the Bronco and drive over there, walk inside, walk back to the truck, drive home, still not sitting well with me -- but it's worth it.


The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running on January 1st.  Why January 1st?  Just seems like a day that makes the most sense.  Maybe Christmas.

· Run Time -- 13 minutes 16 seconds (+0:21)

· Indoors

· Total Running Time for November -- 1 hour 36 min 59 sec
______________________October --- ______57 min 06 sec
____(starting Oct. 1)
· Weight Loss Goal -- 24 pounds (11 kg)
__________· So Far -- 8 lb.

Not a bad run. Great in a way despite it not being on the very easy side. The last two or three minutes I was a little distracted in that I wanted for it to end already. I wasn't dyin' so I was okay. Still gettin' used to this indoor temperature and the rather hard running surface. Not to my liking whatsoever... but acceptable especially since I'm not gonna shell out for a treadmill and "run" indoors at home... although, that is kind of sounding like a good option here. Hmmm. I can make up my mind in a split second on a course of action to take in order to stabilize a patient at work... but trying to decide on whether to buy a treadmill for "running" at home during the winter (which is technically still more than a month away) is something I could make my mind up about! For now I'll utilize this indoor track. While I might not like it, I'll like the results (so long as I don't fracture my tibia again!)

I ran to three of these...


The Psychedelic Furs

self-titled debut

1980






India
Sister Europe
Susan's Strange
Fall
We Love You
Soap Commercial
Imitation Of Christ
Pulse
Wedding Song
Flowers

What a great freakin' album! This is not the Psych Furs on the Pretty In Pink soundtrack. That's fur sure. Recorded in late '79 and released in early '80, this is one of many albums that led the post-punk, modern rock/new wave/alternative charge into the 1980's. Within the vocals of Richard Butler, clearly there are hints of whats to come from these guys. But this is gloomier, at times almost goth-ish and dark. A few songs even lean backwards in time to a punk sound that these guys probably played a lot with before they hit the studio to record this album. Afterall, that scene in London is the one in which this band emerged from. Almost every song here has a subdued feel to it while still full of energy. No band member every really takes the spotlight. The music is crafted to be a full ensemble with no spotlight on anyone, especially not Butler. It's like while the band plays he's singin' every song but not really giving a damn... but it all works perfectly.

Listening to this makes me wonder why I spend so much time exploring so much other music. I kind of need a kick in the head to make me just spend time with great albums in this style and period of time.

320 kbps dload @ A Dashing Blade

from Fruitlegs Some U2 also in today's Playlist:

_Beautiful Day (Beautiful Dance Dub Mix)
_Slug (Grain of Salt Remix)
_All Because Of You (Killahurtz Fly Mix)

1 comment:

Scott said...

You should have adopted the Patriots.

We actually had ten inches nearby in the Poconos today, early but good for the ski slopes. I expect to be skiing by early December if this keeps up.

Keep working mi amigo, keep working.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated