Friday, November 9, 2007

On Day 3, I Got The Beat

The North Face trail running shoe
· Run Time -- 12 minutes 16 seconds (+0:19 again)

__· Temperature: 28º F (-2º C)
__· Total Trail Time: 57 minutes

· Trail Time in November -- 6 hours 58 minutes


____(starting Oct. 1)
· Weight Loss Goal -- 24 pounds (11 kg)
__________· So Far -- 8 lb.

Third day in a row that I'm working the overnight shift. No big whoop there... it actually suits my wannabe lazy lifestyle. Half the night is comprised of sitting around doing absolutely nothing but waiting for a call to come in. Sometimes that's not true, sometimes it's all work and no lazing around. Tonight about half and half. Finally at almost 4 a.m. I've got some time to sit and type.

But yesterday, after my run -- which was once again over 12 hours ago -- I had to shower, eat, this & that, and so I had no time to relax and put up this post. Not a big deal... but significant enough for me to mention it I guess. Kinda like posting about a vacation a week after you got back. Better late than never, I guess.

Third day in a row that I hit the trail for a run. And what the heck is the deal with the weather? Now I'm really thinking that Al Gore's onto something -- freakin' almost all the way up to freezing today. That's warm for here for now. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last hurrah before sub-freezing temps set in for good, for the most part.

I wasn't sure how my run would go. Would I be dead and have a difficult time? Or would this third day in a row allow it to be easier? Turns out the music I chose was basically too fast for the pace I wanted so that made me employ slightly more intense discipline in order to not over-do it. In any case, my run went as well as the day before, even slightly better and with some added time, to boot. Lookin' forward to keeping this going... but a fourth day in a row? Not so sure about that.

Music of the hour...

The
Go-Go's


Beauty And The Beat

1981





Our Lips Are Sealed
How Much More?
Tonite
Lust To Love
This Town
We Got The Beat
Fading Fast
Automatic
You Can't Walk In Your Sleep (If You Can't Sleep)
Skidmarks On My Heart
Can't Stop The World


Great stuff! I don't remember a video for We Got The Beat but Our Lips Are Sealed was one of MTV's earliest, way back in the day. I've loved these guys, er, I guess I should say, I've loved these girls ever since. Their second album, Vacation, I think got a little foofy but here they've got some edge, they've got some punk in them, and some new wave sound that could almost only come from that very distinct time -- the early 1980's. It would have been something pretty darn cool seein' 'em in a small club open for Madness way back in the day, or headlining on their own in front of a Los Angeles crowd who already dug hearin' them play, back before this album even came out. Since time travel is only for the wealthiest who have DeLoreans, givin' these tunes a listen every now and then is not so bad!

256 kbps dload right here
Go-Go's -- Beauty And The Beat

Belinda Carlisle, Jane Wiedlin, Charlotte Caffey, Kathy Valentine, Gina Schock -- The Go-Go's - Beauty And The Beat (back cover)


Also listened to half of
the last Janis Joplin album, from 1970:

Pearl...

3 comments:

Jim said...

Hard to believe that the Go-Go's actually started as a punk-ish type of band. As for Vacation, I agree...way weak album. I think people that are too young to remember the early days of MTV have no clue how awesome that station used to be. You know, back when they actually played music! :-)

Zoooma said...

MTV used to be awesome? Hell yeah! I'm just old enough to remember the very first days of the station. I do believe I had a babysitter on the night they launched, almost literally what with the rocket going off and all. Man... I sometimes think of putting together a mix of many of the songs that I remember from the earliest days -- Benatar, Hall & Oates, Rod Stewart, Styx, man, a lot more... back when they actually played music videos, when MTV supported music videos! Ironic how they're the very ones who've killed the format, for the most part. I think I heard Springsteen made a video for his new album and I thought to myself -- why? Who the hell's gonna see it?!?!?! Nowadays, my TV time includes approximately 8 or 9 seconds of MTV for the ENTIRE year... that's when I'm flipping through the channels and happen to pass it by for a millisecond here, millisecond there.

We Miss You, Martha Quinn!!!!

Zoooma said...

Now, now... play nice.

I said this weekend... 'tain't over yet, yo.

It isn't much, just a guest appearance. Up hopefully tomorrow (Sunday) night, evening maybe or else you'll have it Monday mornin'...

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated