Sunday, November 25, 2007

Never Just Monday-Friday...

She used to be the lead singer for the band 'Til Tuesday... but I'm not sure if there's supposed to be an apostrophe before the T in Til.  Maybe.How fun is it to work the Saturday overnight shift?

Not very. Sometimes it ain't bad when you get boring call after boring call -- no blood, no vomit, no brains, maybe an IV or two. At the end of the shift you can slump down into the couch, take a deep breath, let out a big sigh, and just relax.

Then there are nights like the one I just had. I've been off-duty for a little over 2 hours now, since 9 a.m.... and... I'm burnt out.

All I can do is veg out. I don't even wanna think right now.

Seahawks-Rams is on. So is Buffalo-Jacksonville. Yawn.

Chicago Bears are on next... but I need sleep. They kinda bite anyway this year.

It's a beautiful morning, though. Over much of America, the sun's flyin' high overhead. Might not be very warm but where there isn't an overcast sky, sure is sunny. Here there are no clouds to speak of today but it's halfway dark because the sun barely rises above the horizon this time of year. 11:30 a.m. and it looks like 7 a.m. elsewhere. It's very cool, in a way, but right now it's bringin' me down a little...

because I'm wondering why the hell some people have kids?! I think it was just yesterday that I mentioned in a comment I left at Mark's smorgasborg of fun -- Knockin' On The Golden Door -- that people oughta need a license to become a parent.

It's true. You need a license to become a barber? But anyone can have a kid?

Take, for example, this idiot last night who got in her car, with her infant in the child safety seat... she drives off the road and about 75 feet down an embankment. Neither she or the kid is wearing a jacket with the temperature at about 7 to 8° F (-13 to -14 C.) There's no smell of alcohol or marijuana but this woman is clearly whacked out of her gourd. Her face has been beautifully rearranged by the windshield and her year old baby, this is the best part, wasn't properly strapped into the child safety seat... and the seat itself wasn't seatbelted in AT ALL. Mom, in her unbelievably deranged state, kept saying that she'll just walk home. She never asked about the baby. Not once. Both would probably be just fine... but God Bless, meth, huh?!

I need to get out of this line of work once and for all. Of course, if I'm not flying fulltime, I'll be writing books including some about very sad subjects like poverty... which'll be so uplifting, huh?

Just after the noon o'clock hour now and... time to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I could not do your job.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated