Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It Must Have Been The Rose Palace

After a beautifully mellow 12 hour shift at work, I almost went out tonight. Oh so close I was. My shift partner, Gabe, an Alaska native and former Army medic, a guy who's been whale fishing with a spear(!), said pitchers were on him. Problem there is I know he drinks Old Style... or some putrid crap like that. One of my flaws just might be my beer snobbery; I wouldn't let a mule dying of thirst drink disgusting piss like that. No, sir.

So home I came, or more specifically, this house I live in for home isn't Alaska for me, no, sir. I'm not sure where home is anymore. New York? New Jersey? New Hampshire? Not New Mexico but it seemed like the "New" state theme had to be continued there. What is it with me and "New" states -- born in one, grew up in another, have close ties to yet one more... and I've been to and loved New Mexico, maybe I'll go ski Taos there someday. Is that all of the "New" states? Hmmm... I think so.

Anyway, I kind of run with the thinking that home is where the heart is. And if that's true then I'm not sure where home is. I know where my bed is, where my dog is, where my Dead is... but that's not home. This place I do love but... it's somewhere else I need to be eventually. Great people here, good job, I've loved it... but it's somewhere else I need to be eventually.


Hey, ya know what, enough o' this mindless rambling... I worked, I'm relaxing, and I'm in a Dead state of mind...

SYF PLAINGrateful Dead - March 22, 1969

Rose Palace, Pasadena, California
Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Jethro Tull were also on the bill

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl,
Dark Star St. Stephen
The Eleven
Turn On Your Lovelight

What stands out about this? It's the Grateful Dead in 1969, does it need to have something that stands out to be worth listening to? Hell no. Or look at it this way: the whole thing stands out because it's 1969 Dead. Just a great 50 minutes of music from first note to last. It's not flawless, unfortunately. St. Stephen cuts at some point not giving us what's surely another beautiful transition into The Eleven but oh well. And Lovelight fades out just after 12 minutes but again, oh well. The Dead were the middle band on the bill and it's unknown if this is their entire set for the night or if there was more somewhere in there (after Schoolgirl.) Still, this music is some of the best this band ever made! Definitely worth it!!

Source: Soundboard Master Cassette> Cassette> DAT> CD> SHN

Sound Quality: aside from a cut & a fade -- A to A+

3/22/69 Pasadena

Listen @ Archive.org
-or-
TINY STEAL YOUR FACE - Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart, Tom Constanten.  No Vince Welnick or Bruce Hornsby. Download It Right Here TINY STEAL YOUR FACE - no Brent Mydland.  No Donna or Keith Godchaux.  Songs by Robert Hunter, none by and John Perry Barlow or Bob Dylan.

3-22-69 aka 03-22-69 aka 3/22/69 aka 03/22/69 aka 69-03-22 setlist 320 kbps mp3 SBD download
GD 3/22/69 HANDBILL (custom blog size) Click for Bigger!«------Handbill & Newspaper Ad
(click either one to see bigger)
GD 3/22/69 Newspaper Ad (custom blog size) Click for Bigger!

5 comments:

Nazz Nomad said...

Old Style???? You can get Old Style in Alaska??????????

Zoooma said...

Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Busch, Miller, Pukeweiser, Coors, Corona... it's all the same crap to me. Turns my stomach just thinking about it.

Sugarmag said...

Hiya Zoooma! Great show. I hear ya' about the beer. It's just not really worth it, is it?

Anonymous said...

Thanks--this is a great idea, and a great resource. Getting in a bit late but here for the rest of the 100 days!

Anonymous said...

My first Dead show....at 14 no less...Pig Pen wearing his Serape', drinking wine from a bottle teetering on the front of the stage, sort of menacing as I recall the first time I saw him..
Jethro Tull, nobody knew who they were at the time...Ian Anderson was passing out B&H smokes from the Stage, no visable security really, there were gunny sacks on the cement floor to sit on.
The Rose Palace was a place where the Floats for the Rose Parade were constructed in December... saw a LOT of great Bands there, Zepplin, Mayall, Byrds Ike and Tina...The Dead were there fairly regularly then and I saw them a bunch of times ..ahhh the 60s...
Different Landscape .....Peace

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated