Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wright Run or Wrong Run?

When the heat of the day is oppressively hot, what do you do? Run, of course. Okay, well, maybe not most people. My thinking is I want to push myself, to sort of test my limits. I say sort of because with a run of this nature, one could easily have a severe medical emergency. While I want to test myself, collapsing from a little thing called heat stroke would be going way too far and that far I was not willing to go. Maybe I'd push myself towards heat exhaustion but even that would be going too far. Really I just wanted to be used to running a short distance at such an extreme temperature. Why? I really don't know. Then at the end I'd have to battle being so wiped out from that to get back to where I started from.

Yesterday afternoon, almost 24 hours ago now, I did such a run. It was probably kind of a stoopid thing to do but I made darn sure that I was sufficiently hydrated. That is absolutely IMPERATIVE for such an outing.

As I watched the temperature creep up past 95 and upwards to 100, I knew I had to venture out and do the crazy. Unfortunately it stayed at 100 for only a short while and by the time I was ready to head out it had dipped a little, back into the upper 90's. No worries, still it was the hottest I have ever gone out to run.

I do not recommend just anyone doing this. It's somewhat insane and the result could truly be death i.e. you'd kick the bucket i.e. you'd be dead as a doornail i.e. deceased i.e. DEAD... and not Gratefully! And what the heck is a doornail anyway?!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!Heat Index about 107°F - Air temp: 97°
Tuesday Afternoon Run: 12 minutes 1 second- 2:34
XXXXXXXXXXXX ·Aug? :: -2 sec· XXXXXXXXXX
7 runs in July:approx: 2 hrs 11 min
June:1 hour 47 min
May:4 hours 46 min

First part of the run was almost 9 minutes.

First half of that was fairly easy. Soon after it started to become nothing but a drag. I was so hot but due to turning around mid-run, I was able to get back to my Gatorade, sit in the shade, and rest for about 10 to 15 minutes or so.

Part 2 was a mere 3+ minutes but I added on a little and that was good. I kept walking away from home for quite awhile, rested by a pond for another 15-20 minutes, and had about a 45 minute hike back.

Twas a long time out there -- about an hour and 45 total minutes -- so I got plenty o' exercise in the 100 degree heat. Thankfully this was late afternoon and the sun was, in some places, below the tree line to give some spots of shade otherwise I woulda been cooked.

PHONOGRAPH
Running tunes...

Third day for this. I wanted to finish it off. Will definitely give this more listens in the future. Fun, funny stuff!

Chely Wright - Never Love You Enough (2001) [CD cover]
Never Love You Enough
Jezebel
One Night In Las Vegas
While I Was Waiting
What If We Fly
Wouldn't It Be Cool
Her
Love Didn't Listen
For The Long Run
Horoscope
Not As In Love
Deep Down Low
From listening to country radio occasionally in the past, I knew a few of Chely Wright
's popular songs including Single White Female which is probably her most popular song ever. Apparently this album didn't do so well commercially but still it had the semi-hit Jezebel and overall it's not a bad bunch of tunes.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ DeaconBlues1103CW 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE
320 kbps mp3 download

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful out there, Zoooma! Running in that kind of heat sounds dangerous...

Nazz Nomad said...

Q] dead as a doornail?”

[A] This is an ancient expression: dating back to 1350, and it also appears in the fourteenth-century work The Vision of Piers Plowman and in Shakespeare’s Henry IV.

But why particularly a doornail, rather than just any old nail?

The usual reason given is that a doornail was one of the heavy studded nails on the outside of a medieval door, or possibly that the phrase refers to the particularly big one on which the knocker rested. A doornail, because of its size and probable antiquity, would seem dead enough for any proverb; the one on which the knocker sat might be thought particularly dead because of the number of times it had been knocked on the head.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated