Saturday, February 27, 2010

Should have Mickey & Billy

I dunno why I always put Mickey first 'cause Billy was an original member and Mickey came later. In any frickin' case, it would sure be nice if this band had kept Mickey & Billy and changed its name from The Dead to Furthur just like they changed from The Other Ones to The Dead prior to 2004 (or was it 2003? I posted the first The Dead show which I'm a-thinkin' (without looking it up) was 2-14-03 . . . sweet SBD with Sammy Hagar and Joan Osborne.)

John Kadlecik in the starring role as Jerry Garcia this go-around is somethin' I ain't a-too sure about 'cause I don't wanna be hearin' the Grateful Dead replicated. No sir. Look, Jerry's gone and nothin's gonna bring him back so I wanna hear these Grate songs done similarly while paying a Grate tribute to Jer. I don't wanna hear 'em the same as I have many times over. I know the fans (in general, according to the applause) LOVE hearing "Jerry" up there, but for me, while I dig the tunes, the clone just ain't right.

Anyway, clone or not, still some pretty good music. Mayhaps someday, if I'm still alive, I'll get to post the SBDs for folks. For now, check this out...


2/24/2010 - Radio City Music Hall, NYC

4 comments:

Zapple100 said...

If they're going to have a Garcia clone up, why not have him sing lead on this?

Nazz Nomad said...

I was at the Wednesday Nite show at Radio City. The best thing I can say about the show is that the visuals were fantastic.
The concept of the "Jerry clone" was very offensive. Whenever the Dead survivors have gone on tour, they've brought someone who was their own person, playing the Jerry stuff (and playing it differently of course). This guy they have now, I don't care that he played in a Dead cover band, but he should be making the stuff his own. Wier and Lesh are disrespecting Jerry by having someone try to imitate him.
I left the show early. I won't be back.

Zoooma said...

Who except Bob knows exactly why Bob still wants to sing Brokedown when John K. can handle it like other Jerry songs he does. I'm glad Weir kept those vocals for himself. I've been hearing Bob sing Jerry since Knockin' and Touch were played by Ratdog in '95 and early '96... and then a Jerry song here and another Jerry song there slowly got introduced into RD's repertoire. Much more personal from Bob than from a guy who made a living trying to sound vocally like Jerry as much as he could.

Nazzman, hey. I don't think I woulda left early but I'm with ya, for the most part. I don't see Bob & Phil as disrespecting Jerry but the whole imitation thing is bothersome. I think I do prefer The Dead with Warren or hearing these songs with some other geetarist rather than the guy who, again, made a living trying to sound like Jerry. A lot of people like closing their eyes and imagining it's the GD on stage . . . but that ain't what I wanna hear. I guess you won't be at the former KeySpan Park shows in Brooklyn in late June. Me neither.

Anonymous said...

RE: NN comment

Saw 'em in Portland on Monday. I agree.
Not much interaction onstage - lead guitarist seemed like "hired help" rather than a band member like the other musicians.

I'd rather here someone do their own thing with the music instead of imitate...

Scarlet>Fire>Bucket was a great 2nd set opening...
but I left early too - 1 hr break between sets was a too long and there were just too many slow songs for me...

-NG

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated