Friday, August 1, 2008

Sonic Youth Run Down Avenue Q

Happy Birthday, Jerry!

Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead and of course the Jerry Garcia Band!

I'm kind of wondering why people live in South Carolina at this time of the year. It's too hot for life. I hate to complain but... oi, it's just insanely warm. Okay, so perhaps the Sahara Desert is worse but South Carolina would be on the same list of Places You're Nuts If You Live There in August. Hmmm... I guess I'm nuts then. Ahhh well, I can suffer through it and look forward to when it's not so bad.

Unfortunately it makes running seem like it's one of the last things I want to do. I want to run... but the heat just makes me not even give a crap. Trying for long runs -- HAAA!!! Still I got out there this evening.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!A mere 96°F @ 5:50 pm ... Heat Index only 103°
Friday Evening Run: 12 minutes 25 seconds-1:37
XXXXXXXXXXXX ·June :: -23 sec· XXXXXXXXXX
7 runs in July:approx: 2 hrs 11 min
June:1 hour 47 min
May:4 hours 46 min

Not an easy run. Fifteen minutes to the trail, including stretching time, and by the time the Play List on my mp3 player signaled it was time to go, I was already drenched in sweat. Well, maybe not looking like I just climbed out of a swimming pool but it was dripping off me.

The Sonic Youth album that I was listening to has a few long songs on it and I used one for the first part of run -- about 8 minutes. Mid-song I turned around and headed back towards my quickly thawing Gatorade. (Same story as I've done a bunch o' times before.)

After sipping and sitting for about ten minutes, I headed back down the trail and ran for one more (shorter) song. Amazing the energy that was replaced from resting for a bit. I made it and I made my time (in two parts) but the extreme heat really doesn't allow me to have long runs out there. It's just nuts.

PHONOGRAPH
Running tunes...
I didn't actually run to Avenue Q but on the walk back from my run I listened to some of this. Fun stuff & I hope it's still playing next time I'm in NYC! This we will definitely get tickets for!
Sonic Youth: Murray Street [CD cover] (2002)Sonic Youth

Murray Street

2002

The Empty Page
Disconnection Notice
Rain on Tin
Karen Revisited
Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style
Plastic Sun
Sympathy for the Strawberry


I'm pathetically guilty of not listening to more Sonic Youth.
I had a lot of this in my life once upon a time and I need to get back to it more often. I don't think there's a bad song here.

I'm so tired right now or else I'd type more. Check out the video below and/or read the Allmusic review.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ My Musikita 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE
320 kbps mp3 download
"The Empty Page" - Sonic Youth

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Zoooma! That's great that you ran, despite the heat. Running and resting and running some more sounds like a good strategy. I like Avenue Q too, it's so funny! yl

Sam said...

Saw Sonic Youth twice in one summer when they were opening for Pearl Jam. The wierd part is that all of them kept leaving, not permanently mind you, but for things like broken bones and funerals. So both times it was a hodge-podge of members and a few fill-ins. The second time Eddie and Stone actually played with them, which was really cool for the headliners to do. Either way, their music is great and I must join your pathetic guilty train for not listening to them more.

rundangerously said...

chris, my wife checked out "avenue q" a couple of months ago w/some friends of hers from work. they really liked it - so seems like a good bet to check out when you get over to nyc. after a met game, maybe?

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated