Monday, August 4, 2008

A Run with Country Joe

Whatever.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!Before I left at 3:25 p.m. -- Heat Index: 105°F (Air temp: 95°)
Monday Afternoon Run: 14 minutes 35 seconds+ 2:10!
XXXXXXXXXXXX ·Aug? :: -2 sec· XXXXXXXXXX
7 runs in July:approx: 2 hrs 11 min
June:1 hour 47 min
May:4 hours 46 min

Hot! ... when I left, that is. In such an extreme temperature, about ten minutes at a time, at least right now, is about my limit. I did about 8 or so and then stopped for some heavenly sips of my quickly melting Gatorade and some sitting in the shade... yeah, yet again it's the same old story. Hey, at least I'm gettin' out and gettin' this exercise in!

As I was sitting there I began to hear plenty of thunder in the distance. A few miles away it rumbled on by but never came overhead or close enough to make me wonder if maybe I'm in danger of gettin' struck by lightning. I've ran and hiked and played in lightning before and... whew, takes a lot of faith that none of those bolts are gonna stray my way and strike me down. Would it matter? I don't know. I guess it would. Too much to live for. Still, the idea of having that kind of risk in this life is sort of a thrill. Not today, though.

My running Play List had two more songs [to run to] waiting for me and so I started walking again and when the Start Cue sounded, off I was.

The heat by that time I had gotten used to. Part 2 of my running today went smoother and less difficult than Part 1... I think because the temperature had dropped around ten degrees at some point. The passing storm pushed some "colder" temps through which completely wiped out that sick Heat Index (as well as the bright sunlight that was there when I first headed out.)

Overall -- a little crazy to run with a Heat Index of 105 but I finished up with a better time than previous outings in this kind of weather. Not bad.

PHONOGRAPH
Running tunes...
Once again, I didn't actually run to Avenue Q but on the walk back from my run I listened to some more of it. Fun stuff!! I'm lookin' forward to seeing this show on Broadway one day.
Sonic Youth: Murray Street [CD cover] (2002)Country Joe
McDonald


Paradise
with an
Ocean View


1975

Tear Down The Walls
Holy Roller
Lost My Connection
Save The Whales!
Oh, Jamaica
Lonely On The Road
The Limit
Tricks
Breakfast For Two


I'm not sure if I've ever heard an album by Country Joe.
There's one that Jerry Garcia plays on which I'll most definitely get around to one day. This Woodstock-era Berkeley legend I should really know better but this is the first time I've ever pressed play his music. I've probably heard some in the past but that must've been years and years ago.

This album is quite a mixed bag, it seems. Some of this ain't too bad but some of it just bites.

Tricks is by far the worst song, about "getting some" which is just pathetic with stoopid lyrics.

Holy Roller is almost a big F.U. to religion, at least with the "religion has set me free, God damn" part at the end. I can't figure out the message there. Maybe I'm wrong.

Breakfast For Two has a nice sound to it but the lyrics are just dumb:

We went out to dinner
Boy, what an appetite
We just couldn't stop eating
We stayed up most of the night

And after three, four hours
Our stomachs began to purr
But everything tasted so good
We didn't stop until after dessert

Whatever.


With its mellow sound, the opening Tear Down The Walls doesn't seem right to kick off the album but it's one of the nicer songs on here.

Save The Whales! is a decent political statement.

The song that I think should be the best here is Oh, Jamaica. It starts out kind of like a fun cross between Jimmy Buffett and James Taylor's Mexico (which, coincidentally, Buffett has covered) but then Country Joe throws in a verse that just makes you feel guilty about enjoying such a tropical paradise. Check out the lyrics and see what I mean:

I've got somethin' that I'd like to relate
A home on the islands sure sound great
Lyin' on the sand underneath the palm trees
There's a beautiful sun and I'm smokin' Jamaican weed

Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Must be a hippie's dream
Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Sounds like a reggae scene

Bright lights of the city just get me down
And the noise from traffic's got my head spinnin' round
Big city people just don't make no sense
Oh, I wanna be back home in the country again

Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Sounds like a hippie's dream
Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Must be the reggae scene

I don't wanna disturb your reggae fantasy
About all that good dope and coconut trees but the
People livin' in cardboard shacks
That ain't exactly where the good life's at

I've got a notion to just go away
Find myself a nice little place and stay
Up on a hill with the river below
Just sit back, relax and go with the flow

Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Sounds like a hippie's dream
Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Must be a reggae scene

If I ever get myself out of this mess
I'll never set foot in a city again
I'll play my guitar for the chickens in the yard
Oh, yeah, I'll sing my song for the pigs in the park

Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Sounds like a hippie's dream
Yeah, they grow it in Jamaica
If you know what I mean

I don't wanna disturb your reggae fantasy
About all that good dope and coconut trees but the
People livin' in cardboard shacks
You know, that ain't exactly where the good life's at

Out on the islands where the sun beams on down
Me and my friends just messin' around
Smokin' homegrown and drinkin' home brew
It sound like paradise with an ocean view

Ohhhhh, Jamaica
Sounds like a ganja dream
They grow it in Jamaica
If you know what I mean

Have a listen, if you'd like...


If it wasn't for that one verse, it might be a pretty cool song but come on... if this is an endorsement of a place to be a relaxing, pot-filled hippie hangout, why ruin it with that one statement on the poverty that exists there? You've ruined Jamaica for me, Country Joe! (I already knew there's poverty there but that whole verse just doesn't fit in the song and really kinda spoils the good feel of it.)

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ El Camaleon 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE
320 kbps mp3 download

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever? I hope today will be a better day. yl

Anonymous said...

download nope, nope, nope

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated