Monday, July 21, 2008

Hot Floyd

It's freakin' hot. No... like really, really freakin' hot

HIKING BOOTS
Monday Afternoon Hike ~ about 1 hour 50 minutes
3:45 pm - Air Temp: 97° ~ Heat Index: 104°



When I saw on the local news that the temperature today would be even higher than yesterday, I thought -- Hell Yeaah!!! A little over 24 hours ago I went for an insane run, nuts because of the heat. I hate the heat (!!!) but I wanted to challenge myself. Twasn't like I was out running a marathon... not even a 5K -- it was just a short thing to feel what it's like to run with a temperature in the mid-90's (and a Heat Index around 100.)

Today I thought I would try the same and with the Heat Index like 10 degrees hotter.

My final decision -- Nahhh, I'm gonna skip the run. It's not that I changed my mind about running in such extreme conditions... I just didn't feel like it today. I'll pay attention for the next 105°+ Heat Index day and consider doing a torturous run then.

On the other hand, in order to not sit inside all day twiddling my thumbs pondering if life exists on other planets and if so do they like milkshakes, with a hike today I knew I'd be able to be out on the trail for a longer time which is sweet -- more exercise. Well, then again, running for 10 minutes might actually be more exercise (and better for the heart) than a hike of 120 minutes (that's 2 hours for the time challenged.) Then again then again, running for ten minutes in this heat might not be good for the heart at all, more like -- death.

So a hike it was and holy cannoli, Ben & Jerry, what a Wang Dang Doodle that turned out to be!

As I was out there, thoughts crossed my mind of wanting to run -- in hiking boots... when it was 97 degrees!!! Perhaps the heat was melting my brain. Quite p[ossikjhibblle. <--See?! Overall, even with the heat and
even though I wasn't necessarily enjoying myself, I felt like I was doing something good. I mean it's exercise!!!! Okay, it wasn't quite strenuous but still, one foot in front o' the other for 2 hours, hey, that's not bad!!

PHONOGRAPH


Trail Tunes...
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn (1967)
Pink Floyd:
Piper At
The Gates
Of Dawn (1967)

and:
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets [cd cover] (1968)Pink Floyd

A Saucerful of Secrets

recorded in late '67-early '68;
released in early 1968

Let There Be More Light
Remember A Day
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Corporal Clegg
A Saucerful Of Secrets
See-Saw
Jugband Blues


There was once a time when Pink Floyd was pretty well represented when it came to the music I listened to. Many of their albums were/are so good for tripping to. Yes, back in those days a little LSD now and again was damn fun and Floyd was often there to accompany many of those dosing experiences. I've had a few Floyd CD's through the years since then but listening to the same stuff over and over can get tiring, even if it's just once or twice a year. So... time to branch out.

A Saucerful of Secrets is their second album and I'm not sure if I've ever heard this one before, at least nope, I can't remember. I've been reading that it's less psychedelic but when listening to their first two albums back to back, it doesn't seem like that much of a departure.

So much music comes and goes through this life o' mine, a lot of that I will quite possibly never listen to again. I use it for running, it serves a nice little purpose momentarily. Pink Floyd's albums I'm gonna keep, though. Without a doubt these are some cool tunes.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ Baixe Músicas Completas 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE

7 comments:

chixflix said...

Really, you think bloggers care about the oh-so-heart wrenching decision on weather you run or not? Run or don't but don't waste valuable server space telling us about the motives.

Also, don't use cutsey saying like 'whack dang doodle' or whatever you tried to say there. It doesn't work on you.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Zoooma! I for one care if you run or not and I enjoyed reading this post. If someone isn't interested they can choose to not read it. There's lots of stuff out there on the intertubes that I am not interested in, so I don't read it :). Valuable server space? I don't think there's shortage. Chixflix, you may not be aware of this but "Wang Dang Doodle" is a Grateful Dead song, and for me it totally did work because it was in keeping with a major theme of this here blog-THE GRATEFUL DEAD! XOXO

Anonymous said...

p.s. I love early Pink Floyd! Awesome! I guess whether you run depends on the weather...xoxo

Zooomabooma said...

Hey Now Anonymous! Comes A Time when the weather just ain't conducive to running... but without that exercise I'd probably just go to Hell In A Bucket... and I don't want that! Sometimes the Weather Report ain't so sweet for running, like today. I'd rather the weather Looks Like Rain but since Death Don't Have No Mercy, and running when there's a Heat Index of 105 might bring on that death, I opted for the hike instead.

And you might be right, this interweb dealie thing-a-ma-bob is probably okay for server space!! And you also be right that no one's forced to read anything and can choose not to! Usually I just type for me and if anyone enjoys that, as some do, then great!!! Those who don't can just Beat It On Down The Line. No hard feelings here.

p.s. that's cool you dig old Floyd... yeah, tis pretty cool stuff!

p.p.s. THANKS for stopping by and for your comment(s.)

Nazz Nomad said...

I live and die with reports of your running. Zoomy baby... keep em up!

And that early Floyd shit is the bee's knee's. That album represented the transition of the early Syd Barrett era psycho-delia to the Roger Waters led combo (and featured the first output from David Gilmour).

Anna said...

LOL.. chixflix, apparently you cared enough about weather [sic] he runs or not, to comment.
Move along, chixflix .. life has too much to enjoy for you to be so negative over something of your own choosing.
Heya Zoooma, ;-)

Zooomabooma said...

Heya backatchya, Anna and thanks comin' 'round!! I'm purty sure youse good peeps! One o' these days I'll hafta swing through the ol' Pac NW and say hey.

As always, thanks for all your comments 'round here, Nazzy baby. Somehow I just knew my running reports were exactly what you lived for! And when I was listening to that old Floyd stuff, that's just what I was thinking - this is the bee's knees, man. The bee's knees!!

Hey, Wednesday Night Baseball on ESPN -- Mets-Phillies. One of 'em will be in 1st Place after tonight's game. They may have lost 2 in a row after winning 10 but overall -- Lookin' Better!!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated